A Priest of the Catholic Diocese of Wukari, Taraba State, north-eastern Nigeria, has lamented the destruction of lives, property, and crippling of pastoral activities at Afogba community in the Donga Local Government Area of Taraba State, due to relentless attacks by suspected Fulani Ethnic Militia (FEM).
This disclosure was made by the Parish Priest of St. John the Baptist, Afogba, Fr. Dr. Emmanuel Atsue, Pastor, during an exclusive interview with Advocatus Africa.
“Today, I have decided to visit the church personally this morning so that I can see for myself and also give a comprehensive report to my bishop on what has happened and what people are going through,” Fr. Atsue stated.
Meanwhile, in a video message sent to Advocatus Africa before the interview, Fr. Atsue narrated that, “Right now, out of the 17 outstations of St. John the Baptist Pastoral Area, that is the pastoral area where I have been given by the Bishop to take care of the people of God. There are only two [Outstations] that are standing.”
The Parish Priest of St. John the Baptist, Afogba, Fr. Dr. Emmanuel Atsue, speaking in the video message he sent to Advocatus Africa
The priest stressed that there are “only two [churches] I can access,” adding that the “people are struggling to come back.”
The cleric lamented to Advocatus Africa about the precarious situation, asking rather rhetorically, “Again, one wonders, what has the Catholic Church done to them?” and explained how he was able to access the once fertile pastoral field, now deserted.
The Pastor of St. John the Baptist detailed that “This morning, 1 May 2026, under minimum security assistance by the local vigilante, I was able to access one out of the 15 (the parish has 17 outstations) destroyed outstations named St. Patrick’s, Juku, under the Pastoral Area of St. John the Baptist, Afogba.”

St. Patrick’s, Juku, the Outstation destroyed by suspected FEM
Providing context, the cleric explained that “The attacks took place between 16 and 22 March,” adding that “However, the burning of the Church specifically occurred on 21 March 2026, and it was well carried out.”
Fingering the FEM as the perpetrators, the priest of the Catholic diocese of Wukari provided details about the carnage.
“Many of the fleeing people had taken their food items, mattresses, pots and other cooking utensils and sleeping mats inside this church.
“So the Fulani militia came inside, gathered the mattresses on top of the altar and poured petrol on them. As expected, the flames escalated speedily and in a few seconds the roof was engulfed,” he said.

The pastor, Fr. Dr. Atsue and his parishioners, during an on-the-spot assessment at St. Patrick’s, Juku
According him, “This village of Juku was also attacked on December 16, 2025, and people were killed, with the majority of houses and grains, and livestock burnt.”
He emphasised that “A few women who came close on sighting me were heard lamenting in the local dialect, ‘At least they would have burned and levelled our village but leave our Church alone.'”

Vestments and altar clothes that were desecrated.
Fr. Atsue also expressed fears about the people returning ahead of the farming season in the agrarian community.
“As the rainy season is here already and other people are going about their farm work elsewhere, for the few courageous returnees of my parish, there is no sign of daring the bushes for farming activities because the fear of what is yet to happen is worse than what they have seen so far,” he said.
A month ago, we reported that Wukari Diocese urged for vigilance following the sacking of 13 parishes and 8 rectories by suspected FEM.
We noted that the Catholic Bishop of Wukari Diocese, Most Rev. Dr. Mark Maigida Nzukwein, also urged his deans, other priests and consecrated persons in violent-pronged areas across Southern Taraba, “to sensitise their people and take all necessary precautionary measures to stay safe.”
Although traditional rulers, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), and religious leaders have been calling on the security agencies and civil authorities to expedite action at all levels to bring the bloodbath to an end and return displaced persons to their homesteads, hundreds have been killed, with dozens displaced from several communities across Southern Taraba in renewed violence that started in September 2025.
Editor’s Note: All photos and the video are courtesy of Fr. Dr. Emmanuel Atsue.
